1 Million HOODIES March: Show the World we are all Trayvon.
JOIN US IN SF – WEDNESDAY, MARCH 21st Rally at Bradley Manning Plaza at 5:30 PM
March to UN Plaza at 6 PM!* Oakland fam: gather at 14th & Broadway BART to ride together to Embarcadero: 4:30PM 5:00PM and 5:30PM.
Lets meet folks with stay-away orders underground at the BART station since the BART station is not part of the stay-away.
On February 26th Trayvon Martin, a 17 year old Florida teen was stalked and murdered by George Zimmermann when he was returning to his fathers house from the store. Florida’s Sanford police dept did not issue an arrest for George Zimmerman. In a disgusting display of hypocrisy the police let him walk free claiming it was self-defense.
We heard the 911 calls and about the trauma this is causing for Trayvon’s family, his girlfriend who was on the phone and told him to run when he was being followed, and for the people who heard his cries for help.
We are tired of bearing the pain of an unjust criminal system that does not value the lives of our children, our sons. We must stand together with our grief, with our rage, and our determination.
Throw on your hoodies and come out to Bradley Manning Plaza for Trayvon Martin! Bring pictures, candles, & items to create an altar for Trayvon and our loved ones whose lives have been lost at the hands of an unjust system.
What can we do:
1. WEAR YOUR HOODIE ON WEDNESDAY 3/21 and upload a pic to Twitter, Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #millionhoodies #Trayvon
2. JOIN US IN OAKLAND / SF – Throw on your hoodies and come gather in Bradley Manning Plaza to show your support for justice for Trayvon Martin! Bring candles and items to create an altar for Trayvon at the UN Plaza.
3. SIGN THE CHANGE.ORG PETITION – started by Trayvon’s parents. Currently at 809,721 signatures, we can move the needle to 1 million this week!
4. MAKE THESE CALLS
— State Attorney’s Office – Sanford
Attn: Florida District Attorney Norman Wolfinger
State Attorney’s Office
Criminal Justice Center
101 Bush Boulevard
PO Box 8006
Sanford, Florida 32772-8006
Telephone: (407) 665-6000
— Sanford Police Department
Sanford Police Department, Attn: Police Chief Bill Lee, 815 West 13th Street, Sanford, FL 32771
Telephone: (407) 688-5070
— Florida Governor
Office of Governor Rick Scott, State of Florida, The Capitol, 400 S. Monroe St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001
Governor’s office Telephone: (850) 488-7146
— Florida legislators
(a) The Florida state senator for Sanford, Florida is David Simmons.
David Simmons, 251 Maitland Avenue, Suite 304,Altamonte Springs, FL 32701
(c) The US representative for Sanford, Florida is Corrine Brown.
Representative Corrine Brown, 2336 Rayburn HOB, Washington, D.C. 20515
Telephone: (202) 225-0123, Fax: (202) 225-2256
(d) The US senators for Florida are Marc Rubio and Bill Nelson.
Senator Marc Rubio, 317 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington DC, 20510
Telephone: (202) 224-3041
Senator Bill Nelson, 716 Senate Hart Office Building, Washington, DC 20510
Telephone: (202) 224-5274
5. Talk to your friends and families about what we can do to keep one another safe from this injustice.
* A note about tomorrow: organizers in NY called this march for WEDNESDAY, March 21st, the UN International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, and other actions have been happening for the past 3 weeks. Here in the bay, several women have come together in solidarity – some have lost loved ones to the police.
* Feel free to post actions, rememberances, or other things happening
* For our Oakland fam: Please know we’d stay in Oakland but the march to the UN feels necessary.
“We must, individually and collectively, stamp out racism, stigma and prejudice.”
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Message for the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination 2012
Bradley Manning Plaza, Occupied San Francisco
San Francisco, CA